8th suspect arrested in Northeast Arkansas bank fraud case
Conspiracy includes trio from West Memphis
By Keith Inman
Paxton News Bureau
JONESBORO — Police are pressing charges against an eighth suspect in connection to a check forgery scheme that is reported to have cost a local bank more than $200,000.
Martavious Brown, 32, of Jonesboro, faces charges of second-degree forgery, theft greater than $25,000 and engaging in a continuing criminal gang, organization or enterprise.
On Friday, Craighead County District Judge David Boling set bond at $35,000 and ordered Brown to appear May 22 in Craighead County Circuit Court.
Detective Bruce Wright of the Jonesboro Police Department said the investigation began in late January.
Previously arrested in the scheme were:
• Tonisha Lashay Gaither, 30, of Batesville
• Eboni Sharday Meux, 37,
• Arthur N. Leflore, 31, of West Memphis
• Taylor Trotter, 31, of West Memphis
• Stefon Trotter, 31, of West Memphis
• Glen Thomas Burns, 27, of Conway
• Amanda Bell Wooten, 32, of Jonesboro.
The suspects reportedly opened at least 65 accounts at Arvest Bank. Wright said they shared their account details and debit cards to accomplices.
They deposited fraudulent checks into the accounts, and, Wight said, before the bank could identify the fraudulent deposits, the suspects transferred the stolen funds out of the accounts, resulting in thousands of dollars in losses.
Engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise is a Class A felony, which carries a sentence of up to 30 years in prison. The theft charge is a Class B felony punishable by up to 20 years and each count of forgery is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.